Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Saturday Ride 1: Dakota Ridge

Last weekend I wanted to spend as much time as possible on my bicycle exploring trails close to Denver. It turns out that I'm not actually a strong enough rider to spend the entire weekend riding these steep Front Range trails. Not only that, but my cycling cheeks aren't tough enough yet either! So even now, a couple days later, I'm still feeling a little sore in various places.

I started Saturday morning with an early ride on Dakota Ridge, which is one of a long series of north-south hogbacks -- uplifted ridges -- that flank the east side of the Front Range mountains. Consult a Colorado geology book if you want more details - I'm no geologist.

The guide books said this was a very challenging, "technical" trail -- one of the most challenging in the area. how bad could that be? I'm a decent rider, right? I suppose it's not surprising that riding along the top of a ginormous chunk of uplifted sandstone is quite difficult. It also dropped off rather steeply in places on the west side right at the edge of the trail, adding an additional level of intensity to the experience.

I started early so there were only a couple of cyclists heading up the ridge around the same time as me. The dual crown, long-travel suspension forks and body armor were a definite clue about what was coming. I should have worn heavier gloves, as fingers completely numb from cold don't perform well for shifting and braking. I might have tried to ride more of the trail if I'd had a little more body protection.

This was one of my favorite spots. These wood steps were smooth and would have been great fun to ride down. Unfortunately I was going up, and by the time I reached them I lacked the energy and the will necessary to try to ride up them. I don't think this picture accurately conveys their steepness.


Much of the trail along the ridge looked something like this. Yes, this is the trail.


The views were spectacular, of course.


Once I finished the route along the ridge, there was a nice long descent into the valley below. I made loop by coming back by way of the Red Rocks Trail through Matthews/Winters Park. Or maybe that's the Mathews/Winters Trail, or maybe some of both. Regardless of the name, the trail was nice; a little steep but very rideable. And by this time the sun was overhead and my fingers were warm.


Check out my Garmin log here. And try not to laugh at my slow pace along the ridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment