Sunday, July 15, 2012

Cherry Creek Loop

On Sunday, July 15, we did a fairly lengthy local ride with my parents. This time we stuck to pavement, so we broke out our Burley road tandems. This made it a three-Burley tandem road ride. It was really fun and ended up being about 26 miles of rather hilly riding. We followed my route to work, going north from our house to the north end of the Denver Tech Center, then went east past Cherry Creek High School, where Abbey and Quinn will most likely go to high school, and then all the way around Cherry Creek Reservoir, back through DTC, and home again.

It went quite well, except for one detail: We crossed Interstate 25, not too far from my office, using a pedestrian overpass which has elevators at either end. I used the elevators much of the time when I commute to and from work and a single bike fits fine. The tandems barely fit into the elevator, and apparently when Cindy and Quinn's little tandem went in, we pressed the fender against the rear tire. Consequently, they did several miles of riding with a drag brake on their rear wheel! My mom even commented once, after a steep downhill, that she thought she'd smelled burning rubber. Once we had the fender off the tire, Cindy and Quinn were a whole lot faster!

Alas, I took no pictures, so this text and a few fuzzy memories are all I've got.

On Monday morning, the grandparents loaded their bikes into their van and drove to GJ and I went back to work. A few days later, we met them in Winter Park for more family adventures. I'll post some of that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment