Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Meniscus Repair - Day 2

Just a quick update on the knee repair. Everything I've heard and read indicates that Abbey's ACL replacement should have been much more painful that my little meniscus cleanup. I can believe that, given what was involved in each surgery. However, I'm not finding my repair to be painless, so now I have even more respect for Abbey's pain-tolerance!

I'm not supposed to removed the wrap and bandages until tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like when I do. I've been icing my knee every two or three hours, but the cold doesn't penetrate the wraps very well. I took a couple of ibuprofen tablets yesterday, and three this morning, but have stayed away from anything stronger.

Immediately after the surgery I was able to walk -- or at least limp -- and able to carefully put my full weight on my left leg. I could bend the joint to nearly 90 degrees without pain unless I applied sideways pressure. I could go up and down stairs with significant help from the rail. Yesterday there was really no sign of swelling, but this morning my foot was slightly swollen. Now at just a little more than 24 hours post-procedure, I'm able to walk, but not really all that much better than yesterday. There's still quite a bit of pain on the inside of my knee. Interestingly, the pain I feel is in exactly the same spot and occurs with the same motions as it did before the surgery. I suppose that means they did the work in the right location!

Back when the doctor first diagnosed the problem, and recommended the surgery, he told me it would be a quick surgery and should be followed by a quick recovery. He said I'd be running in a couple of weeks. Or did he say something like "up and running in a couple of weeks," which might lend itself to a less literal interpretation? I guess I'll know soon enough!! I guess I'm not in that much of hurry to recover; it's more important that the recovery is complete and the pain that was slowing me down is gone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment