Saturday, June 15, 2013

Meniscus Repair - Day 5

My choice of title isn't really appropriate since there was no repair of my meniscus. It was really a meniscectomy -- a removal of the thin inner rim where there were some tears. Maybe "Knee Repair" would have been a better choice but it's too late for that. No wonder the documents I write at work go through so many revisions and cost my clients so much money!

We just returned from our first post-surgery bike ride, so I think at this point I'm feeling pretty good about my recovery. We only road about 5 miles, accompanying Cindy on her ride to work. I piloted the Big Black Tandem, with Quinn holding down the rear and providing a significant amount of the hill-climbing power. Pedaling was almost painless, although initially my knee was so stiff that I wasn't sure the whole idea was going to work. Afterward, I decided to post a quick update here while I iced my knee.

Yesterday Abbey and I went to a physical therapy appointment together -- maybe someday we'll get tattoos together. Being only four days after the surgery, our physical therapist, an avid mountain biker and skier who grew up in Evergreen and spent her early years riding a single-speed on the local trails, didn't do too much other than massaging my knee and the developing scar tissue. The latter was incredibly painful and I'm sure I left a pool of sweat on the table. She's been doing the same for Abbey, but Abbey never complained about the pain. Men are not as strong as women when it comes to pain.

I don't think I mentioned here that we pulled the blue Burley tandems out last weekend on Sunday morning and rode about 12 miles on the roads and trails near our house. That was the day before my knee surgery and about two months after Abbey's. It worked out well, Abbey had no problems, and now that I've gotten through my surgery I'm hopeful that we'll be able to get back into regular riding for the rest of the summer. We'll still have to take it easy on Abbey's knee until fall when her new ACL is sufficiently strong that she can ride hard in the rough again.

I don't have any photos of my knee with stitched holes. Maybe I should take some and post them here. If only I could find the camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment